Monday, October 13, 2014

Our Sweetest Little Christmas Present is almost 10 Months Old!!


Remember that one time I had the roundest, sweetest baby boy on Christmas Day? and I wrote but never posted his birth story!? Let's go back to December 25th, shall we?

Sweet boy was due on the 21st of December, and I kept telling everyone that I he could come any day  except Christmas day! I was ready, hair done, nails done, and Christian was home from school...
 

So we spent Christmas Eve doing the usual things, party with the Wilson family


Then up to Valley Center for good company, a nativity, and santa at the Jensen's. 

When we got back to Grandma's house we spent most of the night helping her get ready for Christmas morning brunch. I never knew how much work she really put into it, and I am so grateful for her for doing it every year, and creating such amazing memories and traditions for our family!

Christmas morning we couldn't wait to give Porter his gifts, and he was SO excited about his wooden shape stacker he made this silly face...




All morning I just felt uncomfortable, I enjoyed brunch and family, but around 11am I knew I was having contractions, so I went back to our bedroom and started timing them. Sure enough, they were coming pretty quickly, and consistently; about a minute long every 4-5 minutes, and after an hour of that I called the hospital. The nurse on the phone said, "well, he's not going to fall out, but you should probably come in." I told my Grandma and Aunts what was happening, and they corralled my husband, uncles, and Poppy into a bedroom where they surrounded me and gave me a blessing of comfort. That blessing was just what I needed. After being induced with Porter and spending my whole time laboring in the hospital, this whole experience was new and scary, but after my blessing, I knew everything was going to be okay, and I was ready.
We arrived at Palomar Hospital Labor and Delivery shortly after 1pm, the nurse took me right into a room and had me change, and then said she was going to see how far along I was "to see if they will admit you." When she did, she found that I was already 6 cm dilated, and about 75% effaced, which meant we were having that baby today! 


They got me all hooked up to the monitors, we filled out paperwork and I got an epidural. By 2:30 I was at an 8 and my water had broken. My epidural was not working 100% and I was still terrified of pushing without being totally numb, so when the nurse talked to me about laboring down and waiting to push I was all for it, but by 4:00 I knew I had to push wether I felt ready or not. 


They checked and found that I was fully dilated and baby was already at a 0 station, so they brought in Drs, nurses, and extra Drs and nurses because I hadn't had time to receive all the strep B antibiotics that I needed and they wanted to be sure baby was healthy. They kicked out the people that didn't want to see him born, leaving Christian, Taylor, Delaney, Tina, and Cheyenne in the room, and with my next contraction I began to push. After my first push, there was a loud bang and people scrambled to get Taylor, who had just fainted off the floor! My Dr was a no nonsense kind of guy and quickly reminded everyone that we had a baby to deliver, so I pushed twice more with that bum epidural barely working, and there was Benson, 8 lbs 4 ounces of perfect straight from heaven...

She said she felt bad she missed it, we were just glad she was okay!










 We had amazing nurses: my delivery nurse talked me through everything that happened contractions, epidural, and the super fun after birth stuff, she made me feel calm and in control, and was SO good to my poor fainting sister. My nurse the next morning didn't question me or make me feel like a failure when I asked for a bottle, and had us in the car on our way home at the 24 hour mark!


 


Meeting baby brother for the first time...
and a very tired Daddy!









We love Kara!



No comments:

Post a Comment